- Authority is kind. Authoritarianism is dismissive and rude.
- Authority is firm, looking into the hearts of those one leads. Authoritarianism is overly concerned with the letter of the law, often completely overlooking the heart.
- Authority disciplines for one's good. Authoritarianism abuses - through manipulation or power-plays or verbal undressing or worse.
- Authority is open and approachable. Authoritarianism is easily threatened and, therefore, discourages being approached.
- Authority is thoughtful and intentional. Authoritarianism is explosive.
- Authority is consistent. Authoritarianism is unpredictable and can jump out and bite off a head at any given moment.
- Authority encourages people and builds them up. Authoritarianism discourages people by focusing on their faults.
- Authority holds out an open hand of generosity. Authoritarianism is stingy - stingy with praise, acts of kindness, time and money - always clutching its hand in a tight fist.
In grace, God's given us all leadership and influence over others. How are you exercising your's today?