Though its not always on the level of the tragedy of a theater shooting, but news is simply part of our lives due to the Fall. For instance, yesterday a gash appeared in one of our new walls. Bad news. My neighbor down the street still has cancer. Bad news. A friend in Georgia recently watched in agony as his wife moved out. Bad news. Bad news is not hard to find.
Good news is more rare - especially good news that lasts. Want some? Consider the following affirmations about Jesus from the book of Hebrews:
- "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." - Hebrews 13:8
- "...He is the Mediator of a new covenant so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance...." - Hebrews 9:15
- "...He is able to to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through Him since He always lives to make intercession for them." - Hebrews 7:25\
- "For we do not have a High Priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin." - Hebrews 4:15
- "...consider Jesus, the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, who was faithful to Him who appointed Him...." - Hebrews 3:1-2
- "For because He Himself has suffered when tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted." - Hebrews 2:18
- "Now, in putting everything in subjection to Him, He left nothing outside of His control." - Hebrews 2:8
- "He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of His nature, and He upholds the universe by the word of His power." - Hebrews 1:3
Have you ever noticed how most examples of good news are passing, fading and fallible things that in a week or a year or fifty years will be no more? Today your child made a good choice. Good news! But she will make many bad choices in the future which may erase from your memory the good one she just made. Your boss just gave you a raise. Good news! But that money will soon be spent and soon enough you'll be back to longing for another raise. You just discovered that your friend's cancer is in remission. Good news! But he will still die one day.
In contrast, think about the list above revealing Who Jesus is.
- He is always the stable Rock of refuge we need.
- He will always be our Savior - and no sin is too dark for Him to cleanse.
- He made it possible for us to always have full, free access to God''s heart and grace.
- He can always sympathize with our weaknesses and strengthen us to stand against sin.
- He is always faithful on our behalf.
- He is always ready to help us.
- He is always in complete control.
- He is always glorious and powerful.
Our world brings us bad news in spades. Sometimes life gives us good news, but its rarely the lasting kind. Then there's Jesus. He always equals good news. Joy only lasts when we build our world around Him today.