Friday, March 27, 2009

Everything Else Is Broken

If you're like me, apt to be overly dependent upon people and man-made things, then read what my friend Ray Ortlund Jr. had to say about it recently:

"He will not fail." Isaiah 42:4"He has done all things well." Mark 7:37

Everything man-made lets us down. Sooner or later, everything man-made reveals its hidden weaknesses. Only Christ will not fail. Only Christ does all things well. I don't. You don't. Christ does. Always. Infallibly.

I remember my dad saying this to me years ago. I didn't object outwardly, but inwardly I disagreed with him. I resisted the implications for the man-made things in my own life I was depending on too much -- my man-made ecclesiastical system, my man-made theological system, and other things. But dad was right. Remember the Roadrunner cartoons where poor old Wyle E. Coyote runs off the cliff or has an anvil fall on him or opens a door and the dynamite explodes in his face? Hilarious. But it happens. It happens to us all.  Man-made things go boom. They cannot be trusted. Respected, yes. Honored,yes. But not trusted.

The only unfailing object of our trust and hope is Christ himself. Theological systems have their uses, but also their limits. Christ, Christ, Christ -- the risen, living, present Person of the Lord Jesus Christ who is right here right now and always will be, forever keeping his promises -- only he has no limits, only he cannot disappoint.

"My soul finds rest in God alone." Psalm 62:1

Now I want to hear from you. Post a 'comment' and tell us what 'man-made' things or people you are apt to place too much confidence in. For me it's myself, church leaders and the hoped-for efforts of gifted laypeople. What about you? Let's pray for each other, that Christ alone would capture the confidence of our hearts.

2 comments:

stephanie j. said...

I rely too much on friends or family to "be there" for me when I need emotional encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Even after giving this considerable thought, I don't know how to answer this question.

The best answer for me is probably "every material thing I haven't already eliminated from my life."